Little Black Dress Initiative (LBDI) Gala
What is LBDI?
Little Black Dress Initiative (#LBDI) is a week-long awareness and fundraising campaign that harnesses the power of social media and doing something “a little different” in order to educate people about local issues in our community.
In Colorado Springs, our LBDI will underscore children aging out of the foster care system, with the hopes to prevent them from falling into the trap of homelessness or human trafficking. Our goal is to raise funds to provide life skills assistance and mentorship to help guide foster care teens in the successful transition from the foster system to independent living.
Quick Facts about our Cause
- Half of all foster children will end up homeless within two years of “aging out” of the system.
- A third of chronically homeless adults are former foster children.
- Half of the entire prison population grew up in foster care.
- Young women from foster care are five times more likely to become pregnant compared to their peers.
LBDI Advocates wear the same black dress (or outfit) for five consecutive days to illustrate the restrictions poverty places on choices, opportunities, and access to resources. By wearing a button that reads “Ask Me About My Dress,” Advocates invite dialogue among colleagues, friends, and strangers to raise awareness about children that are aging out of the foster care system.
Our inaugural LBDI Gala will be held on Wednesday, January 15th, 6:30-8:30pm at ALMAGRE Venue+Bar. Admission will be sponsor based, but be ready to have a good time! We will have a silent auction, balloon pop, and so much more.
When does this happen?
Our League will participate in the LBDI January 13th-17th, and we are holding the LBDI Gala on Wednesday, January 15th.
How can I participate?
All members of our League are encouraged to participate in LBDI. There are multiple ways we need help from our community. You have two ways you can get involved:
- Wear your Little Black Dress and post on Social Media. Wear the same little black dress every day from January 13th -17th to promote conversation within your immediate communities!
- Support. Support those in our League and those wearing their dress by donating to the LBDI Campaign at the LBDI Gala on January 15th, 2020, and follow along on our social media platforms (#JLCS #AskMeAboutMyLittleBlackDress) and make a difference today! Become a Community Partner today! Table sponsorships are available! To secure a sponsorship or ask any questions, please contact JLCSLBDIGala@gmail.com.
A limited number of individual tickets are available for purchase to the LBDI Gala. Please click here to purchase your tickets.
- Donate. If you would like to make a donation online, please do so by clicking here.
Thank you to this year’s sponsors!